Faites vos démarches en ligne :

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


Navigation menu
You are here: Home / Leisure / Tourism / Tourism website / Heritage / Architecture / Religious Heritage
Document Actions

Religious Heritage

Notre-Dame de Bonne-Garde Statue of the Virgin (Yvoir)

a marble statue overlooking the village. This was given after the First World War by a Canadian citizen in thanks to the Mother of Christ for the protection afforded to the Convent of the Dames du Cénacle (which no longer exists) where his sister lived.

Notre-Dame de Lourdes grotto (Yvoir)

this is located at the Institute and is a replica of the one in Lourdes. Saint-Fiacre Church (Dorinne): this stone building dates back to 1888-1889 and is in the neo-Gothic style The saint's day of Saint Fiacre, the patron saint of gardeners, is on 30 August. He died in 670. People prayed to him to cure colic. Saint Fiacre's ointment is a mixture of cow dung and clay, used to cover the trunk of trees which had lost their bark.

Saint-Fiacre Church

a stone building dating back to 1888-1889, is in the neo-Gothic style. The saint's day of Saint Fiacre, the patron saint of gardeners, is on 30 August. He died in 670. People prayed to him to cure colic. Saint Fiacre's ointment is a mixture of cow dung and clay, used to cover the trunk of trees which had lost their bark.

Saint Hubert's Parish Church (Durnal)

a large neo-classical brick and blue stone building. The church was built in 1848

Saint Laurent's Church (Evrehailles)

the first church (in the Gothic style) was replaced by a Renaissance-style building in 1858. This was burned down by the Germans in 1914 and rebuilt in 1922 (probably on the site of the former sanctuary which was the property of the St Laurent de Liege Abbey during the Middle Ages, with St Laurent becoming the patron saint of the village). The parish is Saint Laurent's and his saint's day is celebrated on the first Sunday after 10 August.

Saint-Pierre Church (Godinne)

closely intertwined with the volumes of the neighbouring castle, it shows traces of styles of architecture ranging from the Roman era to the 19th century. It was built around 1500. It is a small square structure, backing directly onto the Meuse. After being damaged in a storm on Easter night in 1606, the church was extended. The adjoining cemetery is typical. Outstandingly beautiful trees make it a peaceful place.

The Collège Saint-Paul

was built in concrete between 1925 to 1927 by the Company of Jesus to replace the boarding accommodation at Notre-Dame de la paix in Namur which was no longer sufficient.

Saint-Barthélemy Church (Houx)

the church was damaged during the two world wars. It was restored in 1948 thanks to the help of Mayor Fovarge. The church is built from stone and has a single nave. Inside the church there are ironsmiths' tombstones.

Saint Charles Borromée Parish Church (Mont)

a neo-Romanesque limestone building built in 1874-1876 according to the plans of the provincial architect C.J. Luffin, then completely remodelled in 1979-1980 by the architect Jean Cosse, who kept only the southern side aisle, the base of the northern side aisle and part of the choir. Features a strange, squat pyramid-shaped bell tower.

Saint-Remacle Parish Church (Purnode)

this is a neo-Romanesque limestone building which was built on a new site in 1880-1881.

Saint George's Parish Church (Spontin)

a limestone masonry building in the Gothic style, restored in 1880-1885.

Saint-Eloi Church (Yvoir)

a classical building built in 1761-1763 by Father Jacques Misson. In 1888, the size of the church was doubled by adding a transept according to the plans of the Namur architect L. Lange. Originally there was no religious edifice in Yvoir before the 16th century. The inhabitants had to cross the Meuse and go to Senenne to attend services, but this was often difficult when the river was in spate. At their request, the bishop of Liege, George of Austria, gave them permission on 3 October 1556 to build a chapel in their hamlet at their own expense; this would be dependent on the parish of Senenne. They were then able to celebrate the mass and divine services, administer the sacraments of baptism, penitence, the Eucharist, extreme unction and perform burials, but not marriages. The chapel was probably built on the site of the present church.
Yvoir church was extended in 1888 and the choir in 1934. It has a single nave with a flat painted beige roof adorned with medallions which serve as side walls. Their bases are made from marble. The pulpit of Truth still stands high above the right-hand side of the choir, which has two altars: a small wooden altar by Jean Wiame in front and a larger marble one behind. It is close to the tabernacle and fitted into the wall. On the left, there is a side room which is lit by two small, colourful stained-glass windows depicting the Annunciation and the Assumption of Mary. This also has a small marble altar. This side room is used only to store chairs.
Most of the windows in the church are decorated with stained glass dating back to 1893. Saint Cécile and Saint Dominique are depicted on the right: Saint Antoine de Renard Davreux was donated by Mademoiselle Philippine Gravez and Saint Charles Borrin was donated by Ch. Coppin, the priest of Yvoir. 
In the choir, there is the beautiful, large stained glass window of the Assumption, on the left Notre-Dame de Lourdes, Saint Thérèse and Sainte Mélanie; the other stained-glass windows do not bear any inscriptions and two have lost some of their pictures due to the traditional ball games played nearby. 
Close to the choir, on the left, there is a sealed stone in the paving stones, in memory of the death of the ironsmith, Jacques Dumont, "councillor of Bouvignes and the ironworkers" who died on 2 March 1649 aged 56. On the right, there is another one in memory of Damien Demarche "Curate and benefactor of this church" who died on 6 May 1751 aged 80, and a smaller one in memory of the death of Jean Ruffe "priest and ironsmith" who died in 1759 aged 52. It was therefore possible to be not only a worker priest but even an "entrepreneur priest"!
Note: The marble baptismal fonts at the entrance are no longer used since the front doors have been partitioned (it is too cold there).

The parish is currently served by Abbot Bernard Van Vynckt.

Saint-Roch Chapel (Durnal)

Saint Roch Chapel is a small neo-classical limestone masonry building, apart from its brick and blue stone facade.

Saint-Roch Chapel (Godinne)

Saint Roch Chapel is a solid blue stone building measuring 4m by 3m with a lancet door. The only source of light is the glass door - it has no windows.

Saint Barthélemy's Chapel (Houx)

a neo-classical sanctuary built in 1859 from masonry and dressed limestone. The facade includes a slab in memory of the destruction of 43 houses in the village in 1914.